Cinco De Mayo is traditionally a day to commemorate the Mexican army’s victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. In the states Cinco De Mayo has taken on an entirely new meaning. We celebrate the food and beverages made popular by our southern neighbors but also Mexican culture and the great contributions of Mexicans and Mexican-Americans to society.
Ways To Celebrate Cinco De Mayo:
- Read a book about an important Mexican figure like Diego Rivera, Emiliano Zapata or Frida Kahlo – just to name a few!
- Listen to some Mexican music!
- Check out a Cinco De Mayo parade!
- Watch a Mexican movie! Maybe a Santo flick!
- Make a piñata and smash it!
- Make Mexican food or just eat Mexican food!
- Check out a Mexican bakery and eat your fill of sweets and bread!
- Drink a Margarita or two!
- Go to Mexico!
Need more ideas? Check out this video by Howcast: