I don’t know about you, but I get a kick out of the nicknames applied to Metro Detroit towns. For instance, I used to live in Troy. They bill it as “The City Of Tomorrow Today!” So this week it’s my Top 10 Local Town Nicknames.
My favorite all-time nickname has to be “Detroit – The Motor City.” It just doesn’t get any better than that. It says it all.
Other nicknames associated with local towns include:
- Chesterfield Township – Gateway To Anchor Bay
- Taylor – Made For You
- Southgate – Celebrate The Dream
- Hamtramck – City Within The City
- Romulus – Gateway To The World
- Northville – Hamlet Of The Hills
- Utica – Mushroom Capital of Michigan
- Mt. Clemens – Bath City
Just for fun, here are some very funny and/or odd nicknames for other towns around America:
- Hereford TX – Town Without A Toothache
- Los Alamos NM – Atomic City
- Atlantic City NJ – Always Turned On
- Hershey PA – Sweetest Place On Earth
- Opelika AL – The Cocktail Capital Of The World
- Tombstone AZ – The Town Too Tough To Die
- Dumas AK – Home Of the Ding Dong Daddy
- Forestville CA – Poison Oak Capital Of The World
- Naugatuck CT – Rubber City
- Campaign-Urbana IL – Shampoo-Banana
- Farmington ME – Earmuff Capital Of America
OK, back to Michigan. Which town has your favorite nickname?