[photogallerylink id=56713 align=right][mp3com-artist]Art Garfunkel[/mp3com-artist] will celebrate his 70th birthday on November 5, 2011!
Let’s celebrate with 70 Art Garfunkel fun facts!
1. Art Garfunkel is 6′ tall.
2. Garfunkel is left-handed
3. Garfunkel’s favorite pop song is [mp3com-artist]The Beatles[/mp3com-artist]’ “Here, There and Everywhere.”
4. Garfunkel has kept a list of every book he has read since 1968.
5. You can see the list at http://www.artgarfunkel.com/library/
4. Garfunkel was born on November 5, 1941.
5. Garfunkel met Paul Simon in the sixth grade while working on a performance of the play Alice In Wonderland.
6. Growing up, Garfunkel was a huge [mp3com-artist]Everly Brothers[/mp3com-artist] fan.
7. According to ArtGarfunkel.com Garfunkel learned to juggle in alleyway along side his house Queens when he was 8 years old or so.
8Garfunkel’s maternal cousin is Lou Pearlman, con-artist and founder of [mp3com-artist]’N Sync[/mp3com-artist] and the [mp3com-artist]BackStreet Boys[/mp3com-artist].
9. Simon & Garfunkel’s first hit was “Hey, Schoolgirl” and published under the name Tom & Jerry. They were in their mid-teens when it reached #49 on the pop charts!
(Click through the numbers for more Garfunkel facts!)
10. In early 1964, Columbia Records decided that the duo would be called “Simon & Garfunkel.”
11. Garfunkel studied at Columbia College at Columbia University in the early 1960s.
12. He was a brother in the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity.
13. Garfunkel earned a Bachelor of Arts degree majoring in art history and a Master’s degree in mathematics.
14. Simon and Garfunkel’s first LP, Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M. got off to a slow start, so slow that Paul Simon took off to Europe to start a solo career but returned when “ Sound Of Silence” took off.
15. The album Sounds of Silence includes “April Come She Will”, “I Am a Rock” and “Leaves That Are Green.”
16. “Mrs. Robinson” was Simon & Garfunkel’s second hit.
17.There was talk of changing the song to “Mrs. Roosevelt” but The Graduate director, Mike Nichols, said “Don’t be ridiculous! We’re making a movie here! It’s Mrs. Robinson!”
18. Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme was Simon & Garfunkel’s third album and included “Scarborough Fair”, “Homeward Bound” and “7 O’Clock News/Silent Night.”
19. Bridge Over Troubled Water includes my personal favorite, “The Only Living Boy in New York.”
20. It also includes “Cecelia.”
21. After releasing the album Bridge Over Troubled Water, Simon & Garfunkel started solo careers occasionally working together.
22. It’s long been rumored Garfunkel rejected “Bridge Over Troubled Water” but Garfunkel says it’s not true and that it is “very tiresome to correct.”
23. In 1970 Garfunkel appeared in the film Catch-22
24. In 1971 Garfunkel appeared as “Sandy” in the film Carnal Knowledge by the same director, Mike Nichols.
25. For this role he received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actor.
26. Garfunkel married Linda Marie Grossman in 1972. They divorced in 1975.
27. Garfunkel spent spent late 1971 to early 1972 working as a mathematics teacher at Litchfield Private School, in Connecticut.
28. By late 1972, Garfunkel felt ready to return to his musical career.
29. Garfunkel released his first solo album, Angel Clare in 1973.
30. In 1974, Garfunkel released the hit record, Second Avenue.
31. In 1975 he released Breakaway.
32. Garfunkel briefly reunited with Paul Simon for the 1975 hit “My Little Town.”
33. Garfunkel’s next release was the 1978 album, Watermark. His girlfriend Laurie Bird took the photo for the cover.
34. Garfunkel’s 1979 album, Fate For Breakfast was his first US flop.
35 In June of 1979 Garfunkel’s girlfriend, Laurie Bird, committed suicide in their Manhattan apartment leaving Garfunkel in a deep depression.
36. In 1981, Garfunkel dedicated the album, Scissors Cut to Laurie Bird.
37. Garfunkel had a brief relationship with actress Penny Marshall in the mid 1980’s.
38. In the early 1980’s Garfunkel went on a world tour with Paul Simon.
39. Garfunkel again left the music scene. His father died, leading further into depression
40. In fall of 1985, Garfunkel met former model Kathryn Cermack while shooting “Good To Go.” They married in 1988.
41. Art and Kathyrn have two have two children, James and Beau Daniel.
42. In 1988 Garfunkel released Lefty, followed by Garfunkel in 1988 and Up ’til Now in 1993.
43. Garfunkel performed the theme song for the 1991 television series, Brooklyn Bridge.
44. He appeared as an animated moose singing “The Ballad of Buster Baxter” on the PBS television series Arthur.
45. In 2003, Garfunkel made his debut as a songwriter on his Everything Waits to Be Noticed album.
46. In 2003, Simon and Garfunkel reunited again for a successful world tour.
47. Garfunkel appeared as himself on a Flight of the Conchords episode.
48. Garfunkel’s most recent acting role was in the 2010 film is The Rebound.
49. Garfunkel’s voice has been changing over the decades. His voice began to lower after years of smoking.
50. In November 2010, Garfunkel admitted to be suffering from paresis of the vocal cords.
51. In March 2010, Simon & Garfunkel announced a 13-date spring tour but the tour was later postponed indefinitely as Garfunkel continues to recover from a paresis of the vocal cords.
52. Anagram Server gave the following anagrams for Art Garfunkel:
Afar Elk Grunt, Grateful Nark, Freak Rat Lung, Flea Rag Trunk, Fart Lunar Keg and my personal favorite… Feral Rat Gunk.
53. According to the ArtGarfunkel.com Q & A page Garfunkel has confessed “I like the smell of the sweat under my arms.”
54. Garfunkel is left-handed.
55. Garfunkel has been writing poems since 1981.
56. Garfunkel’s 1989 collection of prose poetry, Still Water received much acclaim.
57. You can read Still Water for free at www.artgarfunkel.com/poems
58. Garfunkel has performed with James Taylor.
59. He thinks very highly of Taylor and warms up before shows by singing his songs.
60. Garfunkel has been arrested twice for the possession of marijuana in 2004 and again in 2005.
61. In 1997 Garfunkel put together the album Songs From a Parent to a Child. The album features his son, James, his wife and celebrity musicians.
62. Garfunkel is a fan of walking.
63. He has walked across Japan.
64. From 1983 to 1997, Garfunkel walked across America,taking 40 excursions to complete the route from New York City to the Pacific coast of Washington.
65. You can read about his walk across America here.
66. In May 1998, Garfunkel began an incremented walk across Europe.
67. Last summer Art Garfunkel completed his Euro walk in northern Greece.
68. You can view his route here.
69. His favorite album is Rumours by[mp3com-artist] Fleetwood Mac[/mp3com-artist].
70. As he approaches his 70th birthday the homepage of ArtGarfunkel.com has a quote that partially reads “Life is to spend. We give it up for – something.”
[cbs-twochop idtype=”1″ id=”2858284563504475611″]