seger1 Vote: 'Downtown Train' By Bob Seger Or Rod Stewart?

Getty Images/ Frank Micelotta

Earlier this week we posted Bob Seger’s new song Downtown Train. It’s the same [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Tom Waits[/lastfm] song [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Rod Stewart [/lastfm]did in his ’89 box set, Storyteller — The Complete Anthology: 1964-1990.

We’ve posted them both, side by side, and we want to know which version you prefer!

Rod Stewart’s Version:

Bob Seger’s Version:

Related content:

Video Classics: Rod Stewart, “Every Picture Tells A Story

Rod Stewart Has A Thing For Model Trains

Comments (15)
  1. Cheryl says:

Hello – Rod Stewart wins hands down. I have only heard the Seeger version a couple of times and the tempo seems too slow for my taste. Welcome back to JJ – I am so pleased to hear you on the radio again. I have been a fan of yours for, well shall we say, a while and have had a secret crush on you for just about as long. Best to you – Cheryl

2. Teri says:

Too easy, Rod Stewart of course. Welcome back JJ, I’ve been waiting for you fo show up again,

3. Teri says:

sorry about the type, keys stick on keyboard

4. Mike says:

Both versions are great and have merit in their own right. Seger’s version is much closer, both lyrically and emotionally, to Tom Wait’s original. Stewart’s version is more commercially polished and slightly more up-tempo. Welcome back JJ – you have been missed!

5. Eddie says:

The Beautifull Looser is Bob!
    Rod Stewart NAILS the TEMPO and Lic’s that make the SONG – SOLID! He makes it FLOW…………
    Bob’s version leaves me guessing – his lack luster style in this song and why he even attempted it? I LOVE BOTH Artist, and just think that this was a bad choice for Bob. I heard about Bob coming out with a new ALBUM called Downtown Train, and I thought that I was something new about Detroit – Sad to find out that IT WAS THIS SONG!

6. Paul says:

Seriously…5 posts saying Rod Stewart’s was better? Seger kicks this songs butt! He sure interprets Waits very well. Hasn’t dropped the ball yet on a Tom Waits cover and I believe this is Waits cover # 4 (Blind Love, New Coat of Paint & 16 Shells From a 30-6). I’ll take this version with Seger’s raw emotion over the polished up Stewart version ANYDAY! Looking forward to Seger’s upcoming shows. – Welcome back JJ.

7. Linda Schaub says:

Bob Seger’s version is definitely worth the listen but I think Rod Stewart does the better job. Seger does such a great job on everything else, let’s give in to Rod just this once. J.J.: Good to hear you back on the airwaves again. Suggestion: Why don’t you play our homegrown boy Bob Seger’s songs – old, new and in between to kick off your show, end your show and maybe at the noon hour, much like Dave Fuller does by featuring the Beatles and focusing on them in his show? Throw a poll out on this and I’ll bet everyone would like it!!

8. Dan says:

Rod Stewart of course! I’m so sick of Detroit radio running Bob Seeger into the ground. It seems that him and Elton John is the only music the stations have . Every time they put on either one I change stations.

9. pat hogan says:

cool spin on the song by seger…still like rod’s better…was pleasantly suprised a few weeks ago hearing you on the radio again, jim johnson…i mean, jj..(we’ve got two on the same station!)…it’s cool hearing you play a little different venue than before, but still mostly ‘classic’ music….

10. andrew says:

Bob seger nail the song rod stewart version was not as good as bob segers keep doing it bob your the best bob